Sunday, February 8, 2015

My how time flies


My how time flies. I decided after the birth of my daughter that I would take a little break from my website. I didn’t anticipate it to be a 3-month break but here we are! Babies are a lot of work! We have been truly blessed that our daughter sleeps well at night, but this means that she is up a lot of the day, leaving little spare time for myself. But now that we have started a more consistent nap routine I desperately would like to pick up where I left off. So this week I’m going to be playing catch up and try to write a few articles sharing what I have learned in these first few months postpartum. So here are some updates!
My daughter was born 9 days late, I ended up being induced, which was definitely not part of my ideal birth plan, but it was in the best interest of my health and my daughters. She was born vaginally, at a whopping 9lbs 12oz and 22.5” long. I won’t bore you with the details but I am happy to say that all my exercise prior to delivery paid off! I was able to push very efficiently and got that baby out as fast as I could with little injury. Even the nurses asked after my first push… “Do you workout? This is going to be easy for you!” That was probably the best thing I had heard all day. I will review my pre-delivery exercises and labor preparation in a future post so stay tuned for that!
It has been 16 weeks since she was born, and I have to say I am starting to feel more like myself everyday. In total I gained 55 lbs. during my pregnancy, and clocked in at 191 lbs. on the day of admission to the hospital. Let me tell you, I never want to see those numbers on a scale again. I was large and uncomfortable. I had continued to walk my dog 45 minutes a day up until the day of delivery, completed my home exercises before bed every night and made sure I stretched and practiced my breathing techniques, but let me tell you…it was not easy carrying around all that extra weight, even having a shower was mildly exhausting! I currently have lost the majority of the weight and am happy to say I have 7 lbs. left to reach my target. Because I am nursing I decided that it was best to keep a few extra pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight and shed the rest gradually through proper diet and exercise, and not through starvation. Because I had no postpartum complications I was able to return to exercising at 5 weeks, which was probably the best thing for myself and for my baby! She has been coming to the gym with me 4x a week since then and loves going out on our daily walks. It has helped make her a happy, well-adjusted baby who loves seeing new places and interacting with new people. I will talk more in the next post about what I have been doing in terms of exercise and how I have been working out safely in order to get my body back without causing injury. So excited to continue sharing this whirlwind adventure with you.
In fitness and good health,
Natasha 

To read more blog posts or to learn more about me check out my website here

No comments:

Post a Comment